Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What If I Fail?

Thomas Edison once said, "Many of life's failures are people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Undoubtedly Mr. Edison had failures in his attempts to invent the light bulb. Where do you think we would be today if he had just given up and walked away from his belief in what he knew he could do?

Last year I had six different, original recipes entered into four different contests. Out of those six recipes one made it into the top twenty. In this particular contest there were over two thousand entries and to make it into the top twenty was an honor. From those top twenty the recipe with the most votes and, four others that the judges chose, were to be flown to New York city for a live cook-off. Yesterday I found out that I did not make it into the top five and my dreams of going to the cook-off had been just that, a dream.

Now I could have taken all of this and told myself what a failure I am. After all, I can cook. I prayed over every recipe submitted and I prayed everyday after that, asking God to please let me win just one of these contests. When that did not happen I could have taken that rejection and turned it into a failure. I could have turned my back on God for not answering my prayers. Why is it that He did not think I was worthy enough to win. I really could use the money and God more than anyone else knows this.

I could wallow in self pity, sit around in my robe all day feeling sorry for myself or maybe, I could have a pity party. Not knowing what kind of food one serves at a pity party I would have to say that this option is not open to me. For I am a cook! I love to create and entertain therefore, none of these options seem to fit.

I know that God hears and responds to my daily prayers. He knows what it best for us. He is in charge of the timing and the destiny of our lives. Whatever the reason is for my not winning these contests I will not retreat into myself, turn my back on God or vow to never pray again. Instead I will pick myself up out of my chair, shower, put on clean clothes, get back into my kitchen and try again. For God did not send me here to fail but rather he sent me here to succeed. He gave me a gift. The gift of cooking and creating. I will move forward from this and not look back.

In 2Corinthians 13:5 we are told that we should test ourselves, examine ourselves and know that Christ Jesus is in us. Knowing this too be true how can we fail? This is just merely a learning experience for me. It has not shattered my faith in God or in myself.

Let this be a lesson to all of you. If you burn the pot roast, air out your kitchen, clean your oven and try again. We learn from our mistakes as long as we don't look at them as failures. God does not want us to fail, rather he wants us to succeed. So go forward and SUCCEED! I know I am.

Today's Recipe:

Sausage Ravioli Bake

1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Olive oil
1 bag (25 oz.) frozen sausage-filled ravioli, thawed
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8 inch slices
2 1/2 oz. pepperoni slices
1 jar (26 oz) fire roasted tomato and garlic pasta sauce
2 cups shredded 6 cheese Italian Cheese

Heat oven to 350. In a large warm skillet put enough olive oil to coat the bottom, add onions, peppers and garlic. Saute until the onions are soft, add the jar of pasta sauce and heat thru. In an ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish spoon a little sauce into the bottom and then start layering your remaining ingredients beginning with the ravioli. Continue the layers with the zucchini, pepperoni slices, cheese and sauce. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Enjoy!

Have a wonderful and blessed day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious- I will try it!! I am so proud of you JZ. Keep your faith- I know God is doing great things with you!

Unknown said...

am trying to set this up so you will know the comments are from me- not Sam! yeah! It worked!

Unknown said...

Being of my flesh you could never be a failure. Our Father has much better thi ngs for you to do.. Get back in your kitchen and create.
I am far from being impartial but, I do know that you are an awesome cook, and that these judges do not have much taste.
Dust your self off and get back in the kitchen.
May your Day be filled with lots of new ideas,and the blessing of the Lord.
Love,
Yo Mama