Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fears at 50 Something

Many great ideas have been lost because people who had them could not stand being laughed at. -Anonymous

Fear is a natural response to any dangerous situation. Fear is something that children naturally possess. The fear of strangers, the fear of falling, and the fear of the dark are all fears that are routinely found in children. Being fearful can have a protective effect on a child’s well being. For example, being afraid of loud noises could prevent a child from fearlessly running into a dangerous situation. However, adults sometimes generalize this “protective intuition” into a fear of trying anything new because they do not want to fail or make a mistake.

Take me for example, next week I am turning 52 and I fear personal growth.  I feel as though I am the same person at 50 years of age that I was at 40 years old, I feel as if my life has gone nowhere.  Every day that I have wasted cannot be replaced.  I recently woke up and realized that I had wasted many years of my life!  Living in fear has prevented me from growing as a person.  I constantly second guess myself, focus on my mistakes and focus on the downside of trying anything new.  By doing this I have voluntarily chose not to move forward with my life.  It is difficult for me to be a "self-starter" because I am afraid of the potential negative outcome of my decision.

I have a lot of reasons why I should not take risks in my life - except for one thing I recently discovered.  Living in fear is not living at all!

So I have decided to live!!  Every year on my birthday I give myself a present, maybe a new pair of shoes I have had my eye on, a new purse or a dress and even finding family that I had lost touch with over the years.  This year I am giving myself something really special, "The Gift of Life".  For me that means that I will be putting my nose to the grind stone and working on my cookbook in hopes of having it completed by my next birthday.  I have been so caught up in the fear that it won't be good enough to be published that I have put it aside and given up.  Well no more, I am back at!

Happy Birthday to me and look out world, here I come!!!!

Mini White Pizza with Vegetables (Serves 4)




4   (6inch) whole wheat pitas
Olive-oil flavored cooking spray
1    medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4  cup thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
2     sliced Roma Tomatoes
1/4  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8  teaspoon salt
1/2  cup light garlic and herbs spreadable cheese
6      tablespoons Sargentos Italian Bistro Blend Cheese with Herbs

Directions:
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Place pitas on a baking sheet; broil 3 minutes.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat;  coat pan with cooking spray.  Add zucchini, onion, black pepper and salt; saute 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Remove pitas from broiler and spread 2 tablespoons garlic and herb spreadable cheese over each pita.  Place tomato slices on each pita; top evenly with remaining vegetables and Italian cheese blend cheese.  Broil 3 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cheese is melted.

No comments: