Thursday, August 26, 2010

Crabby Cheesy Squash Casserole

OK, are you ready for another squash recipe?  This is one that I came up with after I looked and saw the mound of squash sitting on the counter and realized that if I did not do something with it very soon it would overtake my entire kitchen.

As we are preparing to move, in an effort to try to clean out my pantry I went through  and pulled things out that I thought just might go together and when added to the squash would make a great meal.  Wow, was I right!  This dinner was fabulous.  My husband asked for it a second night.  I knew then that the squash was beginning to make mush of his brain.  Just kidding honey.

Anyway, here it is.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.


Crabby Cheesy Squash Casserole
3 pounds yellow squash, sliced
1 onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound crab meat, in chunks
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup French's Fried Onions

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a saucepan, saute the onions in the  butter or margarine until done; add milk; stir constantly over a low heat.  Mix in cheese, cornstarch, salt and pepper.  Stir until sauce thickens.

 Place sliced squash in a large casserole dish; cover it with the crab.  Pour your sauce over the top; sprinkle with the bread crumbs and top with the fried onions.

Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until squash is done.





No comments: